Monday, June 28, 2004

A Modern Concern

Time for an update.

I'm coming to terms with it. I am a modder, and the instinct to change everything I lay my hands on permeates every part of me.

This, for some reason, has been terribly difficult for me to finally admit to myself, but there it is. And it's completely true.

The other day I bought a new external USB 2.0 CD-RW drive for my Tablet PC. Before I even got the darned thing home, I had hatched a plan to take it apart and put my DVD-RW drive into it. I mean, how did this thing become so automatic?

I was taking things apart all the time when I was a kid, and sometimes I even got them back together and working. I'm guessing that at some point I accidentally made something better than it was before I got to it, and a modder was born. I modify everything.

Here are some of the things that I own that I've put various modifications into:

My Archos Jukebox FM Recorder (60 GB hard drive, high capacity battery, open source firmware)
Two of my UPSs (new batteries, case mod to make one fit)
My Antec Sonata PC case (modded in a switch to control the bright blue LEDs)
My USB 2.0 and Firewire External Hard Drive (Several different drives have been in there)
My Dell Inspiron 8200 (Please don't ask)
My Toshiba Portege 3500 Tablet PC (All kinds of hardware swaps)
My AirSoft pistols (higher-tension springs for more muzzle fps, clip mods for more rounds)
My 2003 Honda Accord (wired-in FM modulator, xenon-ish headlights, some other stuff)
My Casio EM-500 PocketPC (Overclocked from 150Mhz to 200Mhz {this was a while ago})

Those are just a few of many and the evidence is overwhelming. I'm always thinking about how my gear could be better, and when I think I can do something about it, I do. I know the risks when it comes to warranties and such, and once or twice, I've broken the object I was working on beyond repair. But I do it anyway.

I'm a tinkerer. Thank the heavens for a (mostly) understanding wife.

Comcast has been lying to Eric some more, and the forecast gives an 80% chance of more lies to come. He really didn't fall off of the earth, he's just out of touch. And still, I might point out, a newlywed. So, you know what he and his new wife must be up to...writing thank-you cards. Don't look at me like that.

No comments: